Tuesday, August 28, 2012

INSIDE ADLR with the blood thirsty colonel's, Joshua Sherman


Production Name: The Fifth Sun

Actor’s Name : Joshua Sherman

Character Name: The Colonel

  • Born & Raised: I was born in raised in Weatherford, Tx! Or Dubtown as some call it.
  • Education: I had some.,. and most of it I didn’t enjoy. In the great words of one Albert Einstein: “The only thing that interferes with my Learning is my Education.”
  • Degree: I am an alumnus of the great school of Texas Wesleyan University. I graduated with a Bachelors in Performance Arts with emphasis on acting and I also carry an Associates in Fine Arts from Weatherford College.
  • Zodiac Sign: The best one! I’m a Capricorn. Any Taurus’ out there? 
  • Any Siblings: One biological brother… And a few friends who have become close enough to be considered my brothers and sisters.
  • Audition Song: The Devil You Know from the musical Sideshow. It has a nice jazz feel to it and shows off one’s range relatively well. It’s also just a great song.
  • Audition Monologue: I never can decide with monologues. I have some Shakespeare tucked in my pocket and also several from a monologue based play called The Laramie Project. I usually pick from those.
  • First Play/Musical You Ever Saw: The first play I REMEMBER seeing was some One-act play way back in the 7th grade… It was about a soldier and that’s about all I can remember of it. Hahaha. The first LEGAL musical I saw was Texas Wesleyan’s Sweeney Todd.
  • Something you’re REALLY bad at: Directions. Hands down I am TERRIBLE with directions. I get lost WITH my GPS. However, if I’ve been there once or twice I can remember how to get there using locations as reference points.
  • Did you have any particular mentors or inspirations when first starting out? Catherine O’Bryan. She was the first teacher that gave me a chance in the theatrical world. She encouraged me while telling me the truth behind the glamour that everyone sees. Then of course I went on to meet other amazing teachers that molded me; Connie Whitt-Lambert, Kristin Spires, and Lisa Dalton just to name a few. 
  • Must See TV Show: This is a toughy… Kyle XY. The show is clever in how it lets everyone see a situation in a different light. I also enjoy Doctor Who (Woot David Tennant!) and Supernatural… Charmed also has a special place in my heart.
  • Why you work in theatre: I absolutely love helping people. I also believe that theatre is VERY therapeutic. It allows audiences to travel to different places, experience situations that they might not come across in their own lives, and escape their world if only for a moment. In doing what I love if I can open someone’s eyes to something they never considered or move them in any way… then I have succeeded. And I love that. Completely love it.  
  • First Role: The first role I had was as Firefly in some kind of bug show we did in 3rd grade I think… It was a long time ago, but in that moment on the stage I KNEW that this was going to be my life.  
  • Favorite Play: Next To Normal. I cannot get over the brilliance of the writing and the emotions behind every note in the songs! Such a masterpiece.
  • Pop Culture Guilty Pleasure: Pink. Love that woman. Love her voice. And I blare her songs and dance wildly in my car every time one comes on the radio.  
  • Favorite sport/team/player: Ha! Sports?! I like to play “street” games… because they rarely have rules and it’s more about having fun that winning. But… I still don’t care for them much. Unless you consider Karate as a sport. Love Karate.
  • First Stage Kiss: Aww! Quick story. My first onstage kiss was technically a “brush” on the cheek. (It was high school in a conservative town.) The show was Sound of Music. I was the Captain and Maria was played by this amazing actress/singer Cassandra Matthews. The first time we “brushed” we kinda missed and kissed each other on the lips… and the moment we did the fire alarm went off in the school for a fire drill! Gah! Everyone was laughing their butts off! No one would let us live that moment down. It was embarrassing but hilarious at the same time.  
  • Pre Show Rituals: I listen to my iPod. Mainly bands like Evanescence and Armor for Sleep and I dance around (if no one is around.)   
  • Special Skills: Hmm… I sing. I write. And I act. That’s pretty much it.
  • MAC or PC: PC! Don’t want to learn a new format. Plus, I’m awful with technology so I am afraid a MAC would just be wasted on me.
  • "I'll never understand why…" : People cheat on their partners. Infidelity just boggles my mind. 
  • Any Theatre Superstitions: Oh yes. I’m a very superstitious person.   
  • Worst Costume Ever: I’ve never truly disliked a costume. HOWEVER, the most wild and ugliest costume I wore was a robe/smock for a show called The Emperor’s New Clothes. I was the Emperor and we made his clothes hideous, but great at the same time.  
  • Favorite Post Show Meal: Anything. I usually don’t eat before a show so by the time it’s out I’m starving!
  • Favorite liquid refreshment (adult or other): Margarita’s. Love them! I also like the Green Machine (Naked Juice).
  • Favorite ice cream : I love me some Peanut Butter Carmel Swirl. It’s hard to find, but I can (and have on several occasions) eat an entire tub in one sitting.
  • Biggest On Stage Mishap: It was during Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat! I was playing Joseph! I was standing on a small chair and my brothers were circling me in my wonderful coat. They would pull at it and jeer behind me and praise and love it if I could see them. Well, one guy decided that he was going to wrap his arms around my legs. He forgot to let go when he went on. Not only did I go down but somehow he pulled me through the bottom of the chair causing me to trip over it and whack some poor girl in the face with my hand as I did so… Without anyone missing a single lyric mind you!
  • Worst job you ever had: Paper shredder for an office in Downtown Ft. Worth. 8 hours a day sitting in a giant room full of paper and a paper shredder with no iPod, no music, no TV… nothing. It was bad.
  • Last Good Movie You Saw: Ted. It was pretty funny. I would definitely recommend it!
  • How you got your Equity card: … I’ll let you know when I get it...
  • Something you are incredibly proud of: A play that I wrote by the name of Angel Tears. I’ve put a lot of time, emotions, tears, and even some blood in the writing of it.
  • Words of advice for aspiring performers: It gets tough but persevere through it. It’s worth it. Plus, don’t listen to those rednecks who think you’re wasting your time on that “drama thing”.
  • Career you would want if not a performer: Psychologist! I find psychology fascinating. I love figuring out how people tick and why they do what they do.
  • Three things you can't live without: Food. Air. And Water. Hahaha: Music. Friends. And love.
  • Best way to beat the North Texas Heat : Become a vampire. It’s cooler at night!
  • Best thing about Fort Worth & the North Side: A hole in the wall joint called La Altena. They have THE BEST Salsa Verde and steak fajita meat I have ever tasted.  

No comments:

Post a Comment