Thursday, April 25, 2013

"This is someone's story..." A moment with Piagua Guy, Michael D. Alonzo

I was first exposed to In The Heights while watching the 62nd Annual Tony Awards ceremony in June of 2008. That night, the cast of ITH performed "96,000" and I just remember being blown away. My immediate first thought was, "Whoa, they are rapping in a musical…How cool! AND it sounds incredible!" Their performance that night had such a familiar style and flare which was so representative of my culture. I recount being swept with excitement and joy because the Latino community had made another mark on Broadway! It was at that moment where I added In the Heights to my bucket-list of shows I must to do before I die.

Soon after, I purchased the soundtrack and songbook. I, just like everyone else, spent countless hours listening through the entire album. There was never a song I could skip past because it was obvious that an immeasurable amount of heart and soul went into each and every song; a feeling I had never experienced with any other album prior. The lyrics reminded me of conversations my family members and I would have at the dinner table at family gatherings. The instrumentation would send me into nostalgic memories of walking through different tiendas and mercados. However, there was one song in particular which resonated within’ me: "Piragua."

"Piragua" is an all-around fun song. It’s upbeat and salsa characteristics make one feel as though they have to get out of their seat and dance around. Every time I listen to this song, I feel as though my Hispanic heritage courses through my veins, so much so that I am overtaken with a huge sense of Latino pride. This was the first song I had learned from the show, and I was insistent upon performing this number one day.

And now that day has come! I could not feel more blessed to be performing Piragua Guy. To be quite frank, the audition process was scary, mainly because of how artistic and gifted each and every person was. There was so much talent POURING out of the theater and it was incredible watching all these DFW actors taking risks and living their dream onstage. I am still to this day extremely humbled to have been considered by Adam Adolfo and his creative team, as well performing alongside the best cast I have ever had the pleasure of working with.

Fast-forward a week or so after getting cast. I thought to myself, "Where do I find inspiration for this role? What can I research or listen to so I can do justice for this character?" Piragua Guy is essentially "fresh off the boat," just stepping onto American soil for the first time in hopes of making a better living here in the states. I have told myself countless times that this role is not a fictionalized character, this is someone’s story. In fact, it is hundred’s of immigrants’ stories. It then occurred to me that someone in my family has lived Piragua Guy’s story in some way: my grandfather, José Velasquez.

Dad José, at least in my book, truly captures the essence and image of Mexican pride. He is such a caring and loving individual, not to mention one of the strongest and bravest men I know. Dad José was born in Torreón, Mexico, and is the third child of a large Mexican family of thirteen children. He went to school up until third-grade, but unwillingly left to pursue work to help make a living for the family. Dad José remembers enjoying school and wishing he could pursue an education, but he felt obligated to do whatever he could to help out his family, regardless of his age. However, no matter how hard my Dad José worked, all the little money he would receive would go straight to his parents.

Yet, Dad José cherished any free time he had as a kid. As a reward for working hard, he and his brothers would go down and swim in the river as a relief from the scolding heat! Eventually, he and his family immigrated to the United States. He worked as a shoe-shiner until the age of 13, but asked to do something different because he would get embarrassed when the cute girls would laugh at him. Because of this, Dad José worked construction from age 14 until he retired at the age of 68.
 

During this time, he met my abuela (Mom Guille) and was the father of four children, one of whom unfortunately passed in the early years of childhood. Dad José worked long hours every day to ensure there was food on the table and a roof over their heads. He also made it a priority to educate himself, and would do so by reading quite a bit (including the dictionary).

I recall an early memory from my childhood. As I sit in the living room of my grandparents’ house, I see a young, Hispanic man pushing a tiny cart attached with bells on the side and a plastic umbrella on the top through the cracked streets of an arid El Paso afternoon. It is the Paletero man, the Mexican equivalent of the Piragua Guy. He would walk down these streets everyday in hopes of earning a hard-earned dollar, hoping to live the American dream.

As I continue rehearsing for the musical, I constantly envision myself in the shoes of my abuelo. I want people to relate to the Piragua Guy like I have and say, "Oh, that is my uncle," or "That’s my father as a kid!" I dedicate this role for the people who risked their lives and had sweat drop down their faces just for the opportunity to have a better life, for people like my parents and my abuelo.

The cast and I are very dedicated to this production; it is going to be spectacular! I am constantly inspired by my cast, family and friends, and look forward to our final few weeks before opening night.

No pares, sigue sigue

Michael Alonzo

No comments:

Post a Comment