Sunday, April 14, 2013

Sonny: Future of the Barrio with Rashaun Sibley

The Future of the Barrio….now that’s a title. Wow. Growing up I’ve always wanted to be considered as the future of something or some sort of spokesperson for my generation. What kid doesn’t? In my life some of the things I’ve achieved include: getting into college to learn more about my true love (performing), eating a lot of chicken nuggets, and getting cast in Artes De La Rosa’s In the Heights! I’m really hoping this is the path that helps lead to a successful and happy actor and even a voice for people…especially the eating part.

Sonny is absolutely a voice for the people. He is so passionate about making the world a better place. He knows he can help fix huge issues like housing and the "edjumication" system. He is not afraid to discuss topics like gentrification and immigration and he encourages his peers to do the same and stand up for what they believe and what they think they deserve. He’s also funnier than a fart and I basically just want to be him in life.

When I first heard the music from In The Heights, I was literally amazed. I had heard nothing like it before in musical theatre and I identified with it and its amazing characters and story immediately. I found Sonny in this show and just couldn’t believe a character so close to me existed. It actually reminded me of when I watched The Lion King when I was little and discovered Simba for the first time. (If you’re reading this, Lion King on Broadway, call me. I’ll be there.)
Sonny is fiery. He is so much fun. Nearly everything he says you either laugh at or you marvel at the passion he has behind his words. He wears his emotions on his sleeve so when you’re with him, you never get anything else but the real Sonny. What I admire about Sonny is that he goes for what he wants and he goes hard. He has too much passion for him to just sit around. He will definitely go out there and do it for himself. Sonny will succeed in changing the world. And he won’t stop until he does. I think Sonny and I have that same mentality in common. Life is just too short to not be persistent in your dreams and goals and to notgive 110%. Hardships and struggles help make us all soldiers. And I can’t wait to show everyone my portrayal of a soldier.

Getting to play Sonny is going be one of the most fun roles I’ve ever gotten the chance to play and I can’t wait to share him and the rest of this show with the community. Everyone needs to come see this show. Even if you’re in New York, or London, or a treehouse in an Amazonian rainforest…you need to come see this. It’s going to touch you and be something you can’t see anywhere else. Get ready cuz I’m ready

Blessings, love, and chicken nuggets,

- RASHAUN


No comments:

Post a Comment