Thursday, April 4, 2013

Michael Anthony Sylvester & Rashaun Sibley on finding their home In the Heights!

Cast members Michael Anthony Sylvester and Rashaun Sibley play best friends Graffiti Pete and Sonny, the young hip hop generation of In the Heights. In today's blog the pair discuss their casting reactions in their Dream Show!

MICHAEL ANTHONY SYLVESTER - "REP OUR PEOPLE!"

In the Heights has been my dream show since it first came out. It was simply one of those shows I knew I was born to be in! The show had hip hop in it, I was a hip hop dancer, the show was about Hispanic people, I was Puerto Rican, and the show had Hispanic male leads... I WAS A MALE AND HISPANIC... I was HOOKED! Then one day I start hearing whispers that Adam Adolfo down at Artes De La Rosa has the rights to the show and is planning on producing it down at the Rose Marine Theatre! I LOST MY MIND for a second because I didn’t think DFW would produce it any time soon! It's such a beautiful story but not many theatres in this area could pull it off, but knowing that it was going to be produce at Artes (a theatre that celebrates Latino Culture) and having worked with most of the Production team on various other projects I knew without a shadow a doubt that it would be a Ferocious production! Auditioning for the show was such a blast! I encouraged a couple of my best friends to the audition because I didn't want them to miss out on this opportunity. I just had a great feeling prior to going in.... Kind of like that feeling where you know you are exactly where you are supposed to be in life?? The callbacks were filled with so many talented friends from the DFW scene; it was like being at a family reunion rather than being at an audition! Everyone was so professional and supportive of each other, I knew that day that this was a journey I wanted to be a part of now more than ever! I left everything on that stage at callbacks! I knew that whatever happened I tried my best and it was now up to the production team and the ambivalence game of casting!

So after all was said and done I later received an offer to be a part of the In the Heights family! I was beyond thrilled, and even more exited once the cast list was announced on Broadway World. Graffiti Pete is such a great role and I’m ready to tackle it one dance step at a time! I feel so blessed to be working with so many talented friends, and living out a dream by being a part of this show! It’s not every day you get to do a Musical that lets you "REP OUR PEOPLE!" #BORIQUA #YATUSABESLORENS!!! Huge Thanks and Love to Elise Lavalle for never giving up on me you advice and mentorship means A LOT to me. Kristin I’m so pumped to work with you again!! Thank you Adam for taking a chance on me! 7 years of preparing and training for this moment...and the work doesn’t stop here! Its' just begun but I've finally found my island, and I’m going to enjoy every moment of this trip!

(Check out Michael’s Fan- page at www.facebook.com/machaelsylvester7


RASHAUN SIBLEY - I'm Home

Before I start, I really just need to get something off my chest. I promise it won’t take long. Just give me a moment.
ARE YOU KIDDING? I’M IN THE HEIGHTS! IT’S THE FIRST PROFESSION PRODUCTION REGIONALLY! I GET TO SING, ACT, DANCE, AND RAP! THIS SHOW IS INCREDIBLE. IS THIS REAL LIFE?! IT’S GONNA BE SO GOOD! WAIT TILL I TELL MOM! MY LITTLE BROTHER HAS TO LIKE THIS ONE! ARE MY GRANDPARENTS READY FOR THIS? I DON’T CARE, I’M SO EXCITED!
Almost done. I promise.



YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YEEAAAAA BOOIIIIIII. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. I GET TO BE SONNY! JUST WHAT I WANTED! THANK YOU JESUS!

Okay I feel so much better now. I knew I would be excited if I got this show but I did not know I would be THIS excited. I cannot wait to get this puppy on its feet and show the community what this show is about and how much we love it.

My initial audition for this show happened so fast it seems like a blur. I do remember perfectly though getting a prime parking spot right in front of the theatre’s doors (which does NOT happen often!) and that was already a victory for me in the day. Even if things didn’t work out and I didn’t get the callback, at least my little walk of shame to my car would be literally 6 seconds long. Then I could play some cheesy, sad song to let out my feelings to and then move right on to the next audition. Fortunately, I got that parking spot and the callback!... I’d say I had a pretty good day.

At the callback, I could not understand where they found all these talented people. Were they trying to make me nervous? Well…………it worked. But I knew I couldn’t let this opportunity slip away. This show was too good and I wanted it. I basically just tried to act like I already got the part and all of the actors were there to see the show. To quote my cast mate Aigner Mathis, "Since I had shown up, I might as well show out!" Give 110% and leave the rest to God.

The next afternoon, Artes De La Rosa is calling my phone……yes. yes. yes. yes. I answer and try to sound professional and collected but I’m pretty sure I stuttered at least 4 different times. Adam Adolfo asks me about my schedule……and that’s it. End of phone conversation………poop. I thought that was it. And I watched my phone for the rest of the day just waiting for a phone call to come and say "Oh. Wait. Did we mention that YOU’RE CAST!" That didn’t happen. I checked my Facebook right before I went to bed and saw a message from Adam telling me to check my e-mail….I didn’t get any notifications about e-mails though. What does this mean?... I check my e-mail and see nothing. What is happening?!! Then I just happen to check my spam folder and lo and behold there’s the e-mail offering me the part of SONNY……..YUSSSSSSSSSSSS! Definitely NOT spam...

It only got better when I arrived at the first cast meet and greet. First, I noticed food and that alone made me realize this is going to be good. Then, I’m greeted with so much excitement, love, and "How are you, boo boo?" hugs that I can’t help but feel at home. This family is already soaked in everything In the Heights is about: ("home, family, finding where you belong") on the FIRST day. This journey is going to be nothing short of amazing and I couldn’t be more blessed to be a part of it.
 
Tickets for In the Heights are now on sale!




1 comment:

  1. Both of you are just wonderful. I can't wait to get this show started!

    ReplyDelete