Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The Journey to Finding Nina... Lorens Portalatin reflects on the role of a lifetime


My journey to Nina began my senior year of high school. You know, the year that everyone is trying to find their perfect college and university and money to pay for it all? Well, I was looking for myself... AND a full time job but that was the least of my worries. My final year I had officially started vocal training for the very first time and was completely enamored with music. The notes, the sounds, the vocabulary... All of it was entrancing and it made me want to become a better singer and performer so that people could love music as much as I do.
 
Anyway, I was introduced to In The Heights by my vocal teacher at the time, Kelly Himes, who was convinced that I was NOT a Second Alto but that I was indeed a First Soprano. This blew my mind. For my entire life I had been thinking that I was only meant to sing lower vocal parts, but here this soprano songbird was telling me that I have the ability to make my vocal range soar beyond what I knew. She handed me multiple pages of sheet music to add to my repertoire and Breathe was one of the few song selections. I listened to the entire soundtrack to Heights and fell in love. From Nina’s concern about her parents, to Vanessa trying to get out of the Heights, to Sonny who just wants a future for himself and the Barrio… I loved them all.
The characters, the storyline, the music. It was like listening being able to go back home to Puerto Rico and listen to my Abuela tell a story about her childhood. Or to have my cousins rap to me in the middle of the street. Heights hit so close to home that it hurt and I knew that I someday had to be a part of this production. Playing Nina became my dream role and I hadn’t let the thought go since first listening to the original cast recording all the way through.
 
When I found out that ADLR was putting on Heights I went straight to work and decided that I had to choose the perfect song and the perfect arrangement and just be perfect. I had worked on my song, Kerrigan & Lowdermilk’s How To Return Home, a million times with my now vocal teacher, Kristin Spires, who is brilliant, helped me learn new tricks to make my singing seem flawless and easy. She’s helping me extend my vocal range even further with each lesson and with every lesson she learned just how much I really wanted Nina.
 
I truly didn’t understand how badly I wanted Nina until I had my audition… I had been preparing for it for months and here was the moment that I got to sing and pretty much say, “OK, You want a Nina? You’ve got her.”  I stepped up to the stage after having my name called and handed Kristin my music and stepped center. And... I left it all on the stage. Emotionally, physically, mentally. All I ever had thought about being Nina, or how to get into The Heights, or anything that I possibly emotionally felt about the show hit me all at once and I was a singing mess. Somehow I got to callbacks and left the rest of me there. Between the love, bonding and fierceness at the callbacks I just knew that ANY ONE of these girls could get to play the role I dreamed of and that at that moment I was happy just being a part of the process.
 
And of course my life changed whenever I was offered the role of Nina.. There were tears and hugs and the obligatory call to my mom saying how excited I was. Being cast as Nina is a dream come true in SO many different ways. Not only do I get to play my own ethnicity for the first time in my musical theatre career, but I also get to explore being a lead role for the first time as my dream role. So NO PRESSURE. Sometimes I just have to remember that it’s just me “and the GWB” and that I just need to “breathe” because whatever happens now I know I can handle it. I’m ready and I KNOW the cast is just as nervous and ready as I am. Together I hope that we show DFW that you don’t HAVE to go to Dallas to see incredible live theatre! To some people it’s right in their own backyard! So come and see this show cause I KNOW you won’t wanna miss it! #NoPareSigueSigue #InTheHeightsFW #JustBreathe


No comments:

Post a Comment