Monday, March 19, 2012

The Grapes of Wrath; A Moment with Actress Laura L. Watson

Over the next two weeks we will be spending time with members of the cast of The Grapes of Wrath; A Living Scrapbook as they prep for the WORLD PREMIERE production this March 28th at Artes de la Rosa Cultural Center for the Arts. Today we spend time with actress, collegue, and friend, Laura L. Watson.


Not many people know this about me, but I was born in Oklahoma. My entire extended family lives in and around McAlester, Oklahoma. We work as butchers, bakers, shop owners, newspaper men, housewives, at the ammunition plant, but primarily we are ranchers and farmers.
As word travels through the grapevine that I am, in fact, part of this commissioned production of The Grapes of Wrath (thanks to Adam Adolfo, Texas Wesleyan, and the National Endowment for the Arts for making this production possible as part of The Big Read), my family echoes the same sentiment: My acting career must be hitting an all time low to be a part of anything by Steinbeck.
“Steinbeck never lived in Oklahoma.”
“He heard a few stories and then made up one, and people believed it.”
“We don’t talk like that. Nobody does. People from Oklahoma were educated, Christians - we are good people. But no one who’s read that book thinks so.”
“That book is still banned. My kids won’t read it.”
My family stayed in Oklahoma and held on during the Dust Bowl’s Great Depression. They are a proud people who work hard and never, ever give up.
I remember reading The Grapes of Wrath in high school. I hated it - as I should.
Now, I’m reading it as a Texan, as an actor, as an historian, and as a journalist. Though I see my family’s point, I’m also beginning to see everyone else’s reasons for calling it a great American novel.
So, here I am: an Oklahoma-born Texan diving into the bowels of The Grapes of Wrath. And though I can pick the book apart, I see the heart of it - the heart of a peple who refuse to quit. He captured the spirit of Oklahomans. I know these people.
Adam calls this production his book report on The Grapes of Wrath - NOT his adaptation. We are here to make people want to read this book. And, as we make this living book report come alive - complete with anticipation, preparation, birth pains, and (hopefully) the overwhelming celebration when we hear a new life take its first triumphant breath - I am bringing my entire family and our history into the delivery room with me. Though they refuse to support Steinbeck’s work, my family will be on the stage with me.
As part of this diverse cast (including Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Chicanos, Germans, British, and so forth), I will attempt to capture my Oklahoma spirit - the pride, the strength, and the refusal to quit until the work is done. That is what jumped out at me during the first rehearsal: All anyone wanted during the Great Depression was to WORK. To earn their keep, to feed their family and take care of their own. To hold their head up high. I sat up with pride as I realized this was the American spirit of this time - just let me work. (Where is this attitude today? Oh, my, THAT is another blog for another show.) My family may see this as a low point in my acting career, but at least I’m working. And they are proud of me for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment