Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Getting Electrified: ELECTRICIDAD at Artes de la Rosa

Today we spend a few minutes with Electricidad Actress, RAQUEL LYDIA LEAL who plays Chola turned "hallelijuah", Ifiegnia.

"Ifi" played by Raquel Leal
Photo by Shannon Atkinson
I have thoroughly enjoyed working on this show. Not only have all my cast mates been a blast but there has been delicious food practically every. single. rehearsal. So thanks Zulma Fernandez, Danielle Reboli, Rebecca RedFox, Lee Castro, and Rose Marine Theatre for feeding a starving actor!

When I first auditioned for Electricidad, I had no idea what to expect other than it's based on the Greek Tragedy, Electra, only set in the Cholo World. Did I know what a "Chola" was? Um...Eyebrow and lip liner? That was about the extent of my knowledge.

To say the least, I've come a long way since then on understanding this rich culture. Seeing my cast mates in their own journey of discovering, "Choloism" has been lots of fun to watch! Fortunately, I could take a couple of pointers from Cesar Hernandez (Nino), Fredy Quiroga (Auggie), and Jimmy Moreno (Orestes). These dudes know a couple of things about the cholo world for real. Chingones. One thing Fredy mentioned I found particularly interesting is that in the cholo world, females have a lot more proving to do than the men! To get initiated, they could A) get jumped in or B) sleep with the leader. Most cholas preferred to get jumped in. Orale, cabronas!

There is so much hardcore stuff in this play and I truly believe Claudia Acosta has poured her heart and soul into this role and has achieved amazing success because of it. I admire her. I guess 10 years working in the N.Y. theatre scene pays off.


Sisters, Electricidad & Ifi;
played by Claudia Acosta & Raquel Leal
Photo by Shannon Atkinson

I'm also grateful to Yvonne Duque, director of Electricidad (and actress - she plays Clemencia!) for encouraging sooo much interaction in the beginning stages of rehearsal. I have never worked with a director that sat every single cast member down and asked on an individual basis what they thought of their character, in detail, and even what they thought of the other characters. The first week of rehearsal was just so relaxing and insightful because every one had a say about whatever and I believe this led to the entire cast having a much better understanding and grasp on the story. Adam Adolfo, Artes de la Rosa Artistic Director, also gave inspiring notes towards opening night. He was an extra boost we needed. His message was simple: "Energy changes everything." I guess that just about sums up the dynamics of the way life works.

The character I play, Iphigenia, a reformed Chola, certainly has been an unique experience for me. I can relate to her on many levels, and she helped me realize that no matter what, you cannot change people. People have to decide for themselves to change. All you can do is be the light you wish to see and be true to yourself. Follow your bliss. No one else is gonna do it for you. And forgiveness is a virtue. Whatever the hell that means.


-Raquel Lydia Leal

No comments:

Post a Comment