Friday, March 23, 2012

THE GRAPES OF WRATH: A look at it from a small town girl...


Cassandra Clarke, in rehearsal for
The Grapes of Wrath; A Living Scrapbook
Photo by Oliver Luke
Being a shy and quiet girl, who just moved to a huge city, (compared to Kingsville and Three Rivers Texas) was a bit challenging. When I first heard about Artes de la Rosa Theatre, I was really excited to learn about a theatre that expresses the Latino roots. There I met Mr. Adam Adolfo, and he told me he was from Corpus Christi (which is like a 45 minute drive from Kingsville). What a small world!

As the days went by, Adam told me about the Big Read and that Artes de la Rosa was doing a collaboration with the program; he asked if I wanted to be a part of it. I accepted the role and figure it would be a great way to meet new friends, and show the city of Fort Worth what this small town girl has to offer!

I honestly didn’t know what to expect. I was terrified really, but once I got there…. it was awesome! Everyone made me feel comfortable and rehearsals were fun! As for the actual production, “The Grapes of Wrath; A Living Scrapbook”; it has soooo much detailed information about: The Great Depression, the people during the era, and Steinbeck’s actual diary entries!


Honestly, in high school, The Great Depression for me was literally “depressingly boring.” However, what Adam did with this show is so creative and entertaining, that everyone will enjoy it. There’s drama, music, and special footage about the era that will leave the audience wanting more. So you can pick up the book and enjoy it, over and over again.

TICKET INFORMATION
The Grapes of Wrath; A Living Scrapbook opens Wednesday March 28th and plays Wednesday, Thursday, & Fridays at 7:30 pm. $15 for adults and $10 for students and seniors. For tickets or more information, call the Rose Marine Theater Box Office at (817) 624-8333. Special ticket prices are available for groups of 15 or more. Tickets can be purchased online at www.artesdelarosa.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment