Thursday, August 15, 2013

A New Face for Lady Capulet

When Adam Adolfo first asked me to play Lady Capulet, I was unsure. I knew I wasn’t quite old enough to have a 17-year-old daughter quite yet. But I had loved reading for her at auditions so much that I threw caution to the wind and accepted. She has always been a Shakespearean dream role for me along with Lady M, Kate from Shrew and most of the other proclaimed ‘Bad Girls’ of Shakespeare. 

I have always been a great Shakespeare lover and purest. So when Adam and I started talking about the changes to the script I was hesitant (i.e. no more Lord Capulet). But I was also excited to get to play this powerful woman who is now the head of the Capulet family. Shakespeare’s text can support a lot of interpretations, which is part of the reason it has endured the test of time. 
 
The 1950’s atmosphere of Havana, Cuba gives my power-hungry (and lustful) Lady C the perfect place to thrive. Having lost her husband, Lord Capulet, a few years before Lady C is left to her own devises with a 17-year-old step-daughter (See? We found a way around it!) and a lovely piece of arm candy (her nephew by marriage, Tybalt) with which she passes her time. Lady C is biding her time happily, running the family business (poorly, I might add) and spending as much money on parties and clothes and general extravagance as she can. 

I am excited to see where this rehearsal process takes my character and the show. It’s definitely going to be something you will not want to miss. So mark your calendars for September 13 and come visit us at the exclusive Rose Club in Havana, Cuba. 
 
 
Playing September 13 through October 6th at the Rose Marine Theatre in Fort Worth, TX.

No comments:

Post a Comment