Thursday, February 16, 2012

ELECTRICIDAD's DANIELLE REBOLI KNOWS HOW TO GO FOR IT

Today we blog with a favorite among the Artes de la Rosa actress's. Danielle Reboli who has been seen in the past in shows at the Rose Marine Theatre including Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and Kiss of the Spiderwoman.

Friends have asked me, why “Electricidad”, why a Greek play, why now? Well that’s like asking me, why a Shakespeare, why a musical, why jazz and why gothic rock? They are all my passions. They are all big, larger than life, soulful, spiritual, dramatic, and have something to say, if you’re willing to listen. I never embraced video, perhaps, because while you play it “real”, the real was always too small for me.

Some of my closest friends know my aka is Athena. I was fortunate enough to play her during a Greek production while studying at Baylor. The actor playing ‘Zeus’, and I had to learn to walk on 3’ painter stilts for the opening and closing scenes. The effect was awesome but, have you ever tried to spin around, dance like, on 3’ stilts?! We wore them as often as possible while in the theater building, for a couple of weeks. Yes, that included other classes too, crazy fun.

While playing Athena, I dug into the myth and history of her and love that she’s a brilliant woman, always wanting to solve conflict with reason and negotiation, but if it comes down to it, she can kick some ass if she needs too! I challenge myself to keep that mantra in my professional and personal life, and it has served me well. Inspiring me to “go for it” and picking me up on a sad day.

When I’m not acting (and while I am), I’m a belly dancer as well. I Co-Direct ‘Brazen Bellies’, where my dance name is, you guessed it, Athena. www.brazenbellies.com

I challenge you to think of someone real, fictional, or mythological who inspires you to live big. Even if you’re not an actor with the opportunity to be in a Greek Tragedy, discover your own passions, and live them.

*Photo by Shannon Atkinson

No comments:

Post a Comment