Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Coffee Talk with a Chola: Interview with Claudia Acosta, Star of ELECTRICIDAD

Recently Artistic Director Adam Adolfo sat down to have some coffee with Electricidad star Claudia Acosta to discuss her return to the North Texas Stage as a young and fierce chola in Artes de la Rosa's regional premiere of Luis Alfaro's passionate adaptation of the Electra Myth. Over coffee, the two laughed, joked, and talk about the special nature of this production.
Photo by Shannon Atkinson

Adam Adolfo: Welcome back to ADLR Claudia...it's been great having you back through our doors the last few weeks...

Claudia Acosta: Thank you - it's so great to be back.

Adam Adolfo: This is your return to North Texas as a stage actor, what is it about Electricidad that brought you back?

Claudia Acosta: Electricidad is strong piece for women and specifically Latina women. Those roles are very hard to come by in American Theater. This play's roots in Greek tragedy remixes a new myth for a culture in great need of exploring their own narratives as Americans. Having also returned to Bass Hall for Peter and the Wolf with Performing Arts Fort Worth, I was more than excited to do this play with my Rose family. An opportunity to play this part on stage that is near and dear to my heart, could not be missed.

AA: What attracts you to Electricidad?

CA: I love her. She is loyal to who she is and where she comes from. Electricidad embodies a history and embraces it with love. The devotion that drives her is her tragedy. The fight to hold on to who you are is within us all.

AA: How do you think this community will receive it?

CA: I hope North Texas audiences will be able access those themes. I think a lot of people may identify with her story and the play can inspire reflection of how our values can effect others.

AA: Being a New York actress, what do you miss about being a DFW actor?

CA: The people will always bring me back to DFW. When you grow with a community, it never leaves you. The amazing artists, performers, writers, directors in my families from Artes de la Rosa, Hip Pocket Theater, Fort Worth Theater, PAFW, Teatro Dallas, Cara Mia Theater Company all made me who I am today. We have such great memories creating theater in DFW that there is no question if I should continue making more.

AA: Any parting words of insight?

CA: I am very lucky to have expanded my professional and personal creative community in New York. New York may have a chunk of my heart, but I will always come home to my incredible powerhouse arts family living in Dallas-Fort Worth. I am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment