Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A View of A VIEW FROM THE BRIDGE: Preshow Actor Rituals and Superstitions!

Ever wonder what goes through an actor's head before they go on stage? Well wonder no more! Today the cast of A View From The Bridge, now open at Artes de la Rosa takes us through their preshow rituals and superstitions.

Alyssa Maldonado – “Before a show I like to do a lot of little stretching exercises! And i usually pray either on my way there or backstage like 15 minutes before the show. While I'm doing hair & makeup i like to just clear my mind of everything & just think about the show & each one of my scenes...Oh & breathing exercises help me stay calm too. ”

Fredy Edward Quiroga – “I usually workout before a show and then meditate…”

Laura L Watson – “I pray on the drive there- about 30 minutes worth- for everyone and everything. Once at the theatre, I do my hair and make up. Then I do my warm up on the stage- a mixture of dance stretches, pilates, and Linklater vocal work. It takes about 45 minutes. Once I'm warmed up, the house is open and I am banished to backstage where I finish dressing and review my entire script. I am often asked to lead a group warm up and energizer, which is always fun. Right before the SM calls places, it's breath mints, breath mints, breath mints! I am a creature of habit- it comfort and calms. I have no superstitions per se, but I respect and participate in any others have.”

Stephanie Cleghorn – “Prayer and lucky underwear.”

Eddie Zertuche – “Health first. Make sure I am fed and rested. Early in the day, I will scan my script for reinforcement of lines, blocking, direction, notes, etc... There is usually prayer/meditation all day long....basically trying to let my will go and put in the hands of something greater. This prevents any unnecessary thinking from occurring lol. The thinking is inevitable sometimes though. Warm ups prior to the show are helpful... stretching, breathing, vocals, etc. I do my best to welcome in the nerves. I treat it like its a normal, good thing because it is. No superstitions. Right before the show starts, I will find a quiet place, all to myself, and I will snap my fingers in comfortable rhythm and chant the words "It's gonna be right" over and over again. Smell the roses. Blow out the candle.”

Jacqui Rash - “This is my first play so I will pray for a wonderful show and that everyone will be happy with their performance. No stressful work, "Well, take it easy."

Jp Cano – “A lit bit of everything... some pray to God/Universe and some stretching/vocalization. I always have that Love/hate feeling for opening night that is amazing...I always feel like I need to go to the bathroom just before my first entrance to the stage, so I do go to the bathroom hehe!! No superstitions at all... life is acting... acting is life!! Oh something else...just before we start I really like to express to my cast members "break a leg" or "mierda" (I know, disgusting, but that's a Spanish ritual word)."

Carlos Iruegas – “I spend time with family and friends and make sure I laugh, so i remember to have fun and not take myself to seriously.”

Yvonne Duque – “I burn sage and face the four directions…”


Cole Spivey – “I used to be afraid of the color purple. I am no longer afraid of the color purple because I was overloaded with so much purple during this show that I became cured. On the other hand, I'll never say The Scottish Play cursed name anywhere near a stage. It starts with Mc. . .”

No comments:

Post a Comment