Wednesday, March 20, 2013

REACHING NEW HEIGHTS: Matt Randsell Jr. talks on dreams realized...

Over the next 6 weeks we will get to know members of the cast of IN THE HEIGHTS which is recieving it's Fort Worth debut this May at the Rose Marine Theatre. Today we spend time blogging with Matt "Superman" Randsell, Jr. who will be starring as Usnavi, the hip hop bodega owner of Washington Heights.
 

"Personally, I feel like there’s a task we all have to do as people before we truly decide what we plan to do with our lives. Since our younger days, people harp on us about “What do you want to be when you grow up?”, they preach to us about setting goals and how to plan, they also encourage us to dream big and to shoot for the stars. However somewhere along the line, we have to decide for ourselves if any of these things are even related or applicable. I mean sure, they all sound positive, and progressive, but how do they work, which ones matter more, and which are even possible. See, some of us are lucky, we have a dream and we’re on a one-way street to that destination with all of the support and encouragement we could ask for, and that’s pretty cool. However, I think most of us, myself, didn’t find it that easy. You see, to me, dreams seemed fictional, they were something to keep my imagination flowing, but not necessarily something to invest much into. I had dreams of spot lights, autograph signings, applause, however when I was asked “What do you want to be?” my answers ranged from lawyers, to teachers, to broadcast journalist. Dreams were unrealistic, and due to an environment that discourages the unrealistic, and encourages the possible, the mediocre, I started applying myself more to my simple goals than to my dreams. Excelling in general courses such as English, history, geography, and athletics, seemed more necessary than taking theatre, art, or music classes seriously. See, I truly believe that my teachers, and parents, they were right in encouraging me to follow the safe path, the secure path. I mean, realistically it’s a lot less scary, and a lot less bumpy of a ride. And for the most part, I stuck with the plan, the goals seemed more obtainable and spoke to me, louder than the dreams did. Dreaming was fun, but it was never clear, it never seemed obtainable. Then there’s this moment, most performers know what I’m talking about, when I say this moment that defines your passion for what you do. Something happens, you see, hear, try something that makes you feel as if you just woke up for the first time, your senses crisper than ever. Some call it, their calling, but as the moment I saw Lin Manuel Miranda rapping at the Tony awards, this whole “dream” of mine, seemed possible. Seemed realistic. Now don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t my intention to put all of my eggs in this basket, however there didn’t seem to be an alternative. Nothing seemed as fulfilling, or rewarding. Performing now, auditioning, traveling, rehearsing, had a different taste to it. It was undeniable. I was officially packed up and on the path, and by then, there was no turning back." - Matt Ransdell Jr. #Usnavi #InTheHeightsFW
 
Matt is a particularly interesting and inspiring young man and no stranger to the Heights having been called back for the role of Usnavi on Broadway, and both National Tours, he is incredibly honored to be officially cast as his dream role for the first time ever in his home state of Texas. Matt's journey on that audition was documented on the online series JOURNEYME. See it below.
 
 

1 comment: