Monday, July 25, 2011

A View of A VIEW FROM THE BRIDGE with Actress Yvonne Duque

Today former Teatro de la Rosa's Artistic Director Yvonne Duque talks about returning to the stage at the Rose Marine Theater, this time as an actress and not a director. We also hear about one of director Adam Adolfo's post rehearsal rituals that leaves everyone asking themselves a rather personal question.

"How do you feel?"


"Yvonne, How do you feel?" How do I feel? After rehearsal our director likes to ask the actors this simple question. It's a kind of round robin, check-in, if you will... It was interesting hearing the responses from the other actors and to hear the new responses at rehearsals to follow. The first time, as the answers were coming around the circle, I tried to focus not on my own answer, but listen to the others. Suddenly, it was my turn to respond. "So, Yvonne, how do you feel?" asked Adam Adolfo. After a quick self evaluation, the word resurrected came out of my mouth. Resurrected?? A bit dramatic, perhaps I overshot?

It has really stuck with me and continues to be true. I feel like I've been brought back to my self. I haven't been on stage in a long time and never have I been on the Rose Marine Theatre stage as just an actress for Artes de la Rosa. My theatre life for Artes de la Rosa, formally known as Teatro de la Rosa, and further formally known as The Latin Arts Association has had many twists, turns and responsibilities that far reached just acting. What a joy to be part of the renaissance of theatre at the Rose. What a joy to be working with a director who has really done his homework. What a joy to be working for a organization that has such passion for the arts. So, how do I feel? That's right, resurrected, like I've been brought back to life.

1 comment: