Thursday, February 17, 2011

How to Throw a Viesta


About a year ago, I was sitting in a meeting at the Rose Marine Theatre with the Artes de la Rosa programming committee. Adam Adolfo, our artistic leader presented an idea. Without speaking, he simply placed a book on the table. It was Eve Ensler's play, The Vagina Monologues. All the women at the table, including me, burst into applause. I was thrilled. My immediate thought was "can we?, dare we?, For our Latino community? Are you serious? Bold! hmmm...I must direct this!" My mind was racing.

At first, I remembered my own experience with the show. Years ago, I performed for V-Day in Detroit. Memories started flooding back. I did Coochie Snorcher. I had a southern dialect. It was a performance to me. 10 years later, as I began to prepare as director, I realize that this is not only a play, but a global movement.

Thinking about the staging of the play, I had elaborate ideas. When I began to research the cause, I realized that the staging and set meant nothing compared to the message. This is about giving voice to something bigger than a bunch of women talking about 'down there'. So much more.

Theatre has the power to unite, educate, and bring about change. At first I felt overwhelmed. How will I do this?

Eve Ensler has given us the words to share. My job is to bring it to our community with integrity and consciousness. I have directed and produced hundreds of plays in my 20 plus years theatre career, but I have never directed something so important.

The next challenge: unite a bilingual cast...the next chapter (or blog, shall we say)...

Yvonne Duque
Director, Advocate, Artes de la Rosa Board Member

No comments:

Post a Comment